Adams Barn


( 600 West and 1800,  North Pleasant Grove)



Website Design & Content by

Roger J. Adams


This is a picture of my father, K. V. Adams (born Feb 3, 1914), with the barn in the background.  This is a view of the Southwest corner of the barn.  (The trees are on the South side of what is now 1800 North.) 
The Adams Farmhouse and Barn

The K.V. and Gwen Adams farmhouse once stood near here. It was built from “soft rock” and later covered with stucco.  In the 1950’s this was a thriving dairy farm milking 50 Holstein cows daily, processing the milk and delivering it as Adams Dairy milk “richer and fresher”.  The farm was originally developed by K.V.’s maternal grandfather Jens C. Jensen.

            The Barn was built by Jens C. Jensen about 1880 here in the “North Fields” of Pleasant Grove City later known as Manila.  Originally the ten acres of land behind the barn was purchased for $75 by Andrew Jensen, Jens’ brother, in Jan. 1870.  Andrew and Jens cleared the land of sagebrush.  In the spring of 1870 they planted wheat, corn, sorghum and potatoes.  That year the grasshoppers ate everything but the potatoes from which yielded 85 bushels that fall.

            Jens had migrated from Denmark to Utah in 1869 and his sweetheart Dorthea Sorensen came two years later.  They were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City in 1871.   The couple moved to Richfield for a few years where three of their nine children were born.

            Jens returned to Pleasant Grove in 1876 and traded his brother Andrew two city lots for these ten acres of farmland.  Jens also purchased 20 acres nearby for $200. The thirty acres became the Jens and Dorthea Jensen’s farm.  In 1877 they used the clay rich soil to make adobe brick to build a home on this corner.  Jens then began obtaining “soft rock” from the William Wadley quarry to build this barn and home pictured above.  About 1880 Jens completed the barn.  In 1882, Jens built a two story “soft rock” farmhouse.   Jens and Dorthea raised their family in this home.  Two of their nine children did not live to maturity.  Jens and his family worked the farm raising pigs, sheep, cattle, milk cows, chickens, horses, vegetables and crops to feed the livestock.  They would hire out as laborers digging ditches, lumbering, mining and shoemaking enterprises.

            In 1909, Jens transferred the farm to his daughter Anna and her husband Daniel E. Adams.  Jens and Dorthea moved to Pl. Grove.   Anna and Daniel raised their four boys, Milton, Arza, Legrand and Kenneth Vern (K.V.) on the farm.  In addition to raising livestock, crops and food, Daniel E. and his boys expanded into the poultry business.  They raised chickens for meat, sold eggs and developed a hatchery.  The family developed a turkey business.

             In 1944, Daniel E. and Anna Jensen Adams traded the farm to their son, Kenneth Vern for a newly built home in American Fork.  K.V. and Gwen Adams raised their three children, Dan, Nancy and Roger here.  At first K.V. continued in the poultry business then in 1947 he decided to purchase a herd of milk cows and develop a dairy farm.  The Adams Dairy would thrive until the early 1960’s when the cows were sold.  K.V. and Gwen’s son Roger Adams eventually purchased the farm.  The farm has now been developed into housing but the Barn, Silo and Granary continues to remain in the Roger Adams family.